Galway Bay FM News Archives
VOLVO RACE ORGANISERS SAY IMPROVEMENTS NEEDED IN GALWAY PORT
Date Published: 10-Mar-2010
Improvements must be made to Galway Port to ensure it can cater for the hundreds of thousands of people that will visit for the final leg of the 2012 Volvo Ocean Race. The contract for Galway to host the race was signed in Dublin this lunchtime. The international yacht race generated almost €60m in revenue when it stopped in Ireland for the first time ever last year, attracting around 650,000 people to Galway. CEO of the Volvo Ocean Race, Knut Frostad says this is an opportunity for Galway to kick start new initatives in the port..
Galway Bay FM News Archives
Galway has country’s largest population of young people
Date Published: 07-May-2013
Galway has a population of young people which is more than twice the national average.
According to information gathered by the Central Statistics Office, Galway’s population of 20 to 24 year olds is more than twice the national average.
The number of 25-34 year olds in Galway is also more than the norm nationally, with the two main colleges thought to be the main reason.
However immigration in Galway is much higher than in other areas at 19.4 percent, compared to the national average of 12 percent.
Galway Bay FM News Archives
Call for direct donations to city charity shops
Date Published: 07-May-2013
A city councillor is encouraging people to donate goods directly to charity shops.
It follows allegations of thefts from clothes banks in Galway and across the country in recent months.
However, cameras are in place at some clothes banks and surveillance is carried out by local authorities.
Speaking on Galway Talks, Councillor Neil McNeilis said the problem of theft from clothes banks is widespread.
Galway Bay FM News Archives
Galway ‘Park and Ride’ could become permanent
Date Published: 07-May-2013
A park ‘n’ ride scheme from Carnmore into Galway city could become a permanent service if there is public demand.
That’s according to the Chief Executive of Galway Chamber of Commerce, Michael Coyle.
The pilot scheme will begin at 7.20 next Monday morning, May 13th.
Motorists will be able to park cars at the airport carpark in Carnmore and avail of a bus transfer to Forster Street in the city.
Buses will depart every 20 minutes at peak times and every 30 minutes at offpeak times throughout the day, at a cost of 2 euro per journey.