CITY TRIBUNE
‘Shocking’ rise in sexual assaults in Galway
‘Shocking and deeply concerning’ is how one member of the City Joint Policing Committee (JPC) described the number of sexual assaults reported in the first two months of this year.
Figures released to the committee revealed that 19 ‘non-aggravated’ sexual assaults were brought to Gardaí in January and February – compared to fewer than five in the same period last year.
Deputy Mairéad Farrell (SF) made the comment on Monday as it was heard that reports of domestic abuse where the victim declined to make an official report – known as no offence disclosed – were also on the rise.
“Is there a reason for this particular increase?” queried Deputy Farrell.
Cllr Owen Hanley (Soc Dem) said it was the first time he could recall a figure of greater than five sexual assaults being brought before the JPC for any two-month period and suggested that the public outcry in the aftermath of the murder of Ashling Murphy may have increased numbers coming forward.
“Is it reflective of an increase in the incidence of sexual assault or an increase in engagement with Gardaí and reports?” asked Cllr Hanley.
Superintendent Damian Flanagan told the meeting said it was Gardaí’s experience that more people were coming forward with reports and that there had been more engagement from injured parties in recent months.
“There has certainly been more engagement and I think that’s why we’re seeing an increase.
“Our Protective Services Unit is very effective in investigating these cases,” said Supt Flanagan referring to the Garda unit dealing specifically with sexual violence and domestic abuse.
Senator Pauline O’Reilly (Green) said while it was welcome that there was an increase in the numbers reporting sexual crimes committed against them, the increased figures were reflective of the scale of the problem.
“A couple of years ago, sexual assaults and rapes were not reported on to the JPC, partly because of low numbers. This shows that reporting is very important,” said Senator O’Reilly.
While the number of breaches to protection, safety and barring orders had decreased on the same period last year (from 11 to nine), incidences of domestic abuse where the offence was not disclosed to Gardaí increased by almost 40% – up 22 to 78.
Cllr Eddie Hoare (FG) sought assurances that adequate protections were being put in place for those who reported domestic abuse and later withdrew the complaint.
Supt Flanagan said there was public confusion around what happened when no offence was disclosed and clarified that in these cases, a member of An Garda Síochána visits the person who made a report and it could be a case of getting no response at the door, the complaint being withdrawn, a call being cancelled or in some cases a bogus call.
“A Garda will still go to the call to check it out fully . . . if an offence is disclosed, it will be investigated and there will be a prosecution.
“In all cases, we must call back within seven days and that is something that we are very strict on.
“We also have a risk evaluation tool to evaluate how great the risk is and we record every call so that we can spot if a pattern emerges,” he said.
“The experts tell us that before reporting an incident [of domestic abuse], there will probably have been 30 previous offences in the home,” he said.