Bradley Bytes
NUIG’s Socs’ Day has Big Fellas, Willies and Rubber Johnnies
Bradley Bytes – A sort of political column by Dara Bradley
Societies’ day at NUIG is always attended by political parties, looking for young impressionable fresh meat to induct into their organisations.
Some parties are better at it than others.
At NUIG Socs’ day last week, the gimmicks and inducements laid-on by the political parties varied in quality, and taste.
Sinn Féin, a party associated with a recent military past, for example, opted to have a freedom fighter dressed in full 1916 army attire.
The Baby Blueshirts on campus weren’t allowing the Shinners steal the military high ground and they – predictably – invoked the memory of their army hero Michael Collins.
Any prospective Fine Gaelers willing to sign up to the party were encouraged to have a selfie taken with a life-size cut-out of the Big Fellah.
The Soldiers of Destiny plumped for a modern day, eh, hero – Willie O’Dea the Limerick TD.
Fianna Fáil was distributing ‘Where’s Willie’ paraphernalia, with pictures of the moustachioed former minister blazoned on them, a play on the Where’s Wally phenomenon.
Wally, if they bothered looking, clearly can be found in the FF marketing and public relations department.
Socs usually give stuff away free at their stands on open day to entice new members. But the Social Democrats were looking for stuff – tents, clothes, etcetera – that could be donated to Syrian refugees.
The Labour Party’s stand received a morale boost during the day with the arrival of a minister (Alan Kelly), a TD (Derek Nolan) and a deputy mayor and city councillor (Niall McNelis).
A measure of how desperate the party has become at trying to attract new blood, and give itself, ah, er, ‘lift’?
Labour was distributing free condoms to new members.
Brianeen’s déjà vu
In July, Galway West Fine Gael TD, Brian Walsh, issued a statement regarding Galway Hospice, and its planned expansion.
In it, he said: “Work on the new entrance and six-bed extension of Galway Hospice commenced last week and is expected to be completed by the end of October.”
This, presumably Brianeen, is the same six-bed extension for which you issued a statement on Tuesday of this week, welcoming Galway City Council’s grant of planning permission.
“The approval was fully expected but it is extremely positive that the go-ahead has been given, and work on the extension of the premises can start so that these additional beds are open as quickly as possible,” he said.
Make up your mind – did works start on the project in July or did it just get planning permission this week?
A clear case of a politician thinking ‘if you fire enough bullets, one of them is bound to hit’.
For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.