Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

JURY STILL OUT IN LETTERFRACK ABUSE TRIAL

Published

on

Date Published: 21-Mar-2013

The jury in the trial of a former Christian Brother charged with the sexual abuse of a boy at Letterfrack Industrial School in the 1960s has retired to consider its verdict.

The 72-year-old retired primary school teacher, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has pleaded not guilty to six charges of indecent assault.

The alleged victim who is now 59, told the jury he had been sentenced to four years’ detention in Letterfrack at the age of nine for taking a bike which he returned later that day.

He claims the abuse took place on dates between August 1965 and April 1967.

The jury at Galway Circuit Criminal Court has been instructed by Judge Rory McCabe to return a unanimous verdict.

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Galway has country’s largest population of young people

Published

on

Date Published: 07-May-2013

Galway has a population of young people which is more than twice the national average.

According to information gathered by the Central Statistics Office, Galway’s population of 20 to 24 year olds is more than twice the national average.

The number of 25-34 year olds in Galway is also more than the norm nationally, with the two main colleges thought to be the main reason.

However immigration in Galway is much higher than in other areas at 19.4 percent, compared to the national average of 12 percent.

 

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Call for direct donations to city charity shops

Published

on

Date Published: 07-May-2013

A city councillor is encouraging people to donate goods directly to charity shops.

It follows allegations of thefts from clothes banks in Galway and across the country in recent months.

However, cameras are in place at some clothes banks and surveillance is carried out by local authorities.

Speaking on Galway Talks, Councillor Neil McNeilis said the problem of theft from clothes banks is widespread.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Galway ‘Park and Ride’ could become permanent

Published

on

Date Published: 07-May-2013

A park ‘n’ ride scheme from Carnmore into Galway city could become a permanent service if there is public demand.

That’s according to the Chief Executive of Galway Chamber of Commerce, Michael Coyle.

The pilot scheme will begin at 7.20 next Monday morning, May 13th.

Motorists will be able to park cars at the airport carpark in Carnmore and avail of a bus transfer to Forster Street in the city.

Buses will depart every 20 minutes at peak times and every 30 minutes at offpeak times throughout the day, at a cost of 2 euro per journey.

Continue Reading

Trending