Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Breaking News

Jail for man who stole Loughrea farmers cheque.

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – A man has received a partially suspended sentence of three years after pleading guilty to setting up bank accounts which were later used to lodge a Department of Agriculture cheque stolen from Albert Hynes, a farmer from Loughrea.
Ibanda Nlanda , formerly of Rossmore, Ballyfermot, Dublin admitted providing false information when opening up two banks accounts.
The 56-year-old Congolese national pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to two accounts of providing false or misleading information at the Irish Nationwide Phibsboro and at the Bank of Ireland, Ballyfermot Road, Dublin.
Judge Catherine Murphy suspended the last 18 months of the jail term on condition that Nlanda keep the peace for three years. She backdated the sentence to January last to take account of the time Nlanda has already spent in custody.
Detective Garda Eileen O’Connor told Cormac Quinn BL, prosecuting, that before Christmas 2007 Albert Hynes, a farmer from Loughrea, Co Galway, was due to receive a cheque from the Department of Agriculture.
When the cheque failed to appear he reported it and an investigation revealed that the cheque had been lodged into a Bank of Ireland account on January 2, 2008 and the money was later withdrawn during that month.
Det Gda O’Connor said that Nlanda had not lodged the cheque himself or withdrawn the money but had opened up the bank accounts in another name.
Mark Lynam BL, defending counsel said his client has health issues and will be on dialysis for the rest of his life unless he receives a kidney transplant.
During a trial last May Nlanda pleaded not (not) guilty to possession of the stolen cheque payable to Albert Hynes and to stealing a cheque, the property of Mark Nicholson and to using a false instrument. The Director of Public Prosecutions withdrew these charges when Nlanda pleaded guilty to the other charges.

Breaking News

Death announced of former Bishop of Galway

Published

on

Dr Martin Drennan.

The death has occurred of the former Bishop of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora Martin Drennan, six years after he announced his retirement on health grounds. He was aged 78.

The Galway Diocesan Office confirmed the death this (Saturday) afternoon of the Bishop and Apostolic Administrator Emeritus, who oversaw the Diocese for eleven years.

Born on January 2, 1944 in Piltown, County Kilkenny, he studied for the priesthood at Saint Patrick’s College, Maynooth, from where he was ordained to the priesthood in 1968. His brother Michael is also a priest.

Following his ordination, he continued his studies in Rome where he was awarded a Licentiate in both sacred theology and sacred scripture. He returned to Rome in 1980 to become spiritual director at the Pontifical Irish College for the next five years.

He became a lecturer in sacred scripture at Saint Patrick’s College, Maynooth, where he continued to teach until his appointment as Auxiliary Bishop of Dublin in 1997 with responsibility for East Wicklow and South Dublin.

Following the retirement of Bishop James McLoughlin, Bishop Drennan was appointed Bishop of Galway and Kilmacduagh and Apostolic Administrator of Kilfenora and he was installed on July 3, 2005 in Galway Cathedral.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

O’Flaherty’s promising start

Published

on

Outgoing Cllr Terry O’Flaherty (Ind) is on course to retain her City Council seat – and top the poll in City East. 

With 33% of the boxes tallied, Cllr O’Flaherty is polling strongly, particularly in Renmore. 

Michael John Crowe is ahead of his running mate Alan Cheevers for the Fianna Fáil vote, according to the early figures, although that could change when Doughiska and Roscam boxes are opened. 

The Green Party’s Claire Hillery is on about 7%, with Fine Gael on 10% and Sinn Fein on 5%.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Tallies underway as votes are sorted

Published

on

The opening of boxes for the local elections began at 9am this morning in Leisureland when the tallymen (and women) kicked into gear.

As regards the Galway County Council elections, the smaller areas are being opened first which means that the four-seater Connemara North boxes will be first in the pecking order.

It will be followed by Gort-Kinvara (5 seats), Connemara South (5 seats), Athenry-Oranmore (7 seats), Ballinasloe (6 seats), Loughrea (5 seats) and finally Tuam (7 seats).

The boxes in these areas will be opened and tallied in that particular order before being transferred to the Galway Lawn Tennis Club on Threadneedle Road where the counting will commence around mid-morning.

That is when the fun will really begin – although the tallies should give a good indication as to where most of the seats are destined.

As regards the city, the Galway City East boxes were opened first, followed by Galway City Central and finally Galway City West. These votes will be transferred to the Westside Centre by around 11am for counting.

There are 39 seats on Galway County Council to be filled with 18 on Galway City Council. The City Council count is expected to conclude on Saturday night but the County Council count – with seven electoral areas to be filled – could well go into Monday.

Continue Reading

Trending