Connacht Tribune

Galway’s hopes of landing first league title dashed by COVID-19 cancellations

Published

on

Mairéad Seoighe jumps for joy as the final whistle is blown and Galway defeat Mayo to capture the Connacht title last year. Galway's hopers of landing a first-ever league title this year have been ended after the league was cancelled due to the outbreak of COVID-19. Inset: Galway manager, Tim Rabbitt.

Galway senior ladies footballers, who had led Division 1 of the National League until the enforced break due to Covid-10, will not have a chance to claim a first ever Division 1 title after the LGFA took the decision to cancel the remainder of the competition this week.

In a statement on Tuesday, the LGFA said: “In light of the Covid-19 outbreak, the prime concern for the Ladies Gaelic Football Association at the present time is the health and wellbeing of our members.

“Consequently, a number of decision have been made in respect of LGFA competitions, which have not been taken lightly. The 2020 Lidl National Leagues have been cancelled for 2020, and will not be completed.”

Among the other competitions that have fallen by the wayside are the post primary schools competitions, the interprovincial competition, the All-Ireland U-14 Championship, Féile na nÓg and Féile Skills.

The statement continued: “The 2020 TG4 All-Ireland Championships will be reviewed on an ongoing basis, in line with Government regulations, while there is a possibility of provincial action in the U-16 and Minor Championships, when LGFA activities resume.”

However, the decision means that National League leaders Galway will have to wait another year to possibly secure that elusive Division 1 title.

“It is disappointing because we would have liked to have gone on and finished out the league strong but there are bigger things at play now and we have to play our role as well,” said Galway boss Tim Rabbitt.

“We can understand the decision; people’s health and wellbeing has to come first. Look, we will survive, we understand it, and hopefully we will get back for the championship.”

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app

The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Trending

Exit mobile version