Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Breathnach’s back in business after GAA upholds their appeal

Published

on

Date Published: 29-Jun-2011

CIARAN TIERNEY

THE ongoing saga over the expulsion of Connemara side Micheal Breathnach from the Galway senior football championship looks set to come to an end today, unless the Mountbellew-Moylough club lodges a shock new 11th hour appeal to the Connacht Council of the GAA.

Mountbellew-Moylough have until today (Thursday) to lodge a fresh appeal against a Galway Competitions Control Committee (CCC) decision to reject their original objection and award the qualifier tie to the South Connemara men on Monday night.

But is expected that Mountbellew will accept their defeat after the CCC heard fresh evidence about the eligibility of a substitute who featured for Na Breathnaigh in the contentious fixture on Sunday, May 29.

The CCC had originally awarded the fixture to Mountbellew, overturning the result of the game. Their decision was based on an objection relating to the eligibility of second half substitute Tommy Conneely.

The issue came back to the Galway authority this week after a hearing by the Connacht Council, brought about by an appeal from Na Breathnaigh.

“The decision of the CCC, based on clarification of a number of issues, is that the original objection from Mountbellew-Moylough has been ruled out of order and the result of the game will stand,” said the County Board Chairman, Gerry Larkin.

After the sides had both lost their first round ties, they met in the ‘back door’ qualifiers at Pearse Stadium on May 29, where the Connemara men registered a surprise 1-11 to 0-12 victory over the 2010 county finalists. The win guaranteed their senior status for next year and led to joyous celebrations in Salthill.

But, subsequent to the defeat, Mountbellew sent shock waves through Galway football when the lodged an objection to the CCC, claiming that young Conneely was not eligible to play senior football for the rival club.

Conneely and his family have a long association with the Indreabhan club and Na Breathnaigh were hugely aggrieved by the original CCC decision to award the game to Mountbellew, appealing it to the Connacht Council.

Conneely has played with underage Micheal Breathnach sides for five years, since he was U-14. His brothers and sister have also played for the club. But, because his family play in Camus (home of Na Piarsaigh), Mountbellew-Moylough claimed he needed a specific “permission to play” clearance to line-out at adult level.

The Connacht Council sent the matter back to the Galway CCC last week, asking them to revisit the issue by “reprocessing” the initial objection.

That led the CCC, after hearing further evidence, to declare the original Mountbellew-Moylough objection out of order on Monday night. The CCC awarded the fixture back to the team who had won it on the field of play on May 29.

Mountbellew-Moylough officials were due to meet last night (Wednesday) to discuss their response to the latest CCC decision, which will force them into the relegation play-off series.

“We will have to wait to see what people on the executive committee think, but time isn’t on our side as we would have to have an appeal registered by tomorrow (Thursday),” said club chairman Martin Rafferty prior to last night’s meeting.

Thankfully, the controversy has not impacted on fixtures. The club championship games which were scheduled to take place this weekend have been postponed as a result of the county team’s demoralising defeat to Mayo, in order to allow Tomas O Flatharta’s side prepare for their All-Ireland qualifier showdown with Meath on Saturday week.

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Galway has country’s largest population of young people

Published

on

Date Published: 07-May-2013

Galway has a population of young people which is more than twice the national average.

According to information gathered by the Central Statistics Office, Galway’s population of 20 to 24 year olds is more than twice the national average.

The number of 25-34 year olds in Galway is also more than the norm nationally, with the two main colleges thought to be the main reason.

However immigration in Galway is much higher than in other areas at 19.4 percent, compared to the national average of 12 percent.

 

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Call for direct donations to city charity shops

Published

on

Date Published: 07-May-2013

A city councillor is encouraging people to donate goods directly to charity shops.

It follows allegations of thefts from clothes banks in Galway and across the country in recent months.

However, cameras are in place at some clothes banks and surveillance is carried out by local authorities.

Speaking on Galway Talks, Councillor Neil McNeilis said the problem of theft from clothes banks is widespread.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Galway ‘Park and Ride’ could become permanent

Published

on

Date Published: 07-May-2013

A park ‘n’ ride scheme from Carnmore into Galway city could become a permanent service if there is public demand.

That’s according to the Chief Executive of Galway Chamber of Commerce, Michael Coyle.

The pilot scheme will begin at 7.20 next Monday morning, May 13th.

Motorists will be able to park cars at the airport carpark in Carnmore and avail of a bus transfer to Forster Street in the city.

Buses will depart every 20 minutes at peak times and every 30 minutes at offpeak times throughout the day, at a cost of 2 euro per journey.

Continue Reading

Trending